Accra Polytechnic, the Premier Polytechnic in Ghana was established in 1949. It was firstly known as Accra Technical School. Later became known as Accra Technical Institute in 1957. In 1963, the institute was named Accra Polytechnic by the orders of Ghana’s First President, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. Accra Polytechnic by the mandate of the Polytechnic Law of 1992 (PNDCL.321), was elevated to a tertiary status in 1993 to offer Higher National Diploma (HND) certificate programmes.
Its elevation was aimed at enhancing tertiary institution through excellence, professionalism and diversity in its programmes. The institution produces all-round, innovative, and disciplined graduates who continually contribute immensely towards the manpower needed in Ghana’s industries.
Notwithstanding some teething problems, Accra Polytechnic has made tremendous progress through the review and expansion of curricula to suit contemporary needs. Courses offered are: Interior Architecture & Furnishing, Secretaryship and Management Studies, Bilingual Secretaryship and Management Studies, Accountancy, Marketing, Purchasing and Supply, Hotel Catering and Institutional Management, Fashion Design and Textiles, Mathematics and Statistics, and Science Laboratory Technology. The technology courses offered by the Polytechnic were maintained.
In 2007, the Polytechnic Act (Act 745) was promulgated and it repealed PNDC Law, 1992 (PNDCL 321). This Act has granted the Polytechnics autonomy to award the Higher National Diplomas (HND), Diplomas and other Certificates accredited by the National Accreditation Board (NAB), and award Degrees subject to the conditions that the Council of that Polytechnic may determine.
Accra Polytechnic currently offers four (6) Degree Programmes and fifteen (15) HND Programmes. These programmes are run in three schools.
As a tertiary institution, Accra Polytechnic is governed by a Council established under the Polytechnic Act, 2007 (Act 745).